skip to content
The online toolbox for business entrepreneurs

What is the Energy Performance Certificate?

FAQs related to the Building Regulation Office.


The information provided in the answers should serve only as guidance and does not have any legal force. For online live FAQs updates refer here


An EPC is similar to the electrical appliance energy label.

The EPC for dwellings has two scale bars showing the rating of your dwelling and its carbon emissions, with zero being the most energy efficient and the other extreme being the least efficient. The EPC for non-dwellings has a vertical A to G scale bar, with A being the most energy efficient and G being the least efficient.

EPCs became compulsory for all dwellings being sold or rented or as from 02/01/2009. An EPC is also required for those dwellings that request development permission from the Planning Authority development permission for new construction or change of use from 02/01/2009.

For non-dwellings, EPCs became compulsory for those buildings being sold, rented and requested development permission from the Planning Authoirty to be newly constructed or undergo a change of use as from 01/06/2009.

If you are buying or renting a property now, you are entitled to be provided with an EPC by the seller/landlord or his/her agent for the building in question. An EPC must be carried out by an independent EPB assessor who is registered with the Building Regulation Office.  A list of registered EPB Assessors is available on the EPC Portal website at

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You may read about this on our Privacy Policy page.